VPN gives extremely secure connections between private networks linked through the Internet. It allows remote computers to act as though they were on the same secure, local network.
· Allows you to be at home and access your company's computers in the same way as if you were sitting at work.
· Almost impossible for someone to tap or interfer with data in the VPN tunnel.
· If you have VPN client software on a laptop, you can connect to your company from anywhere in the world.
· Setup is more complicated than less secure methods. VPN works across different manufacturers' equipment, but connecting to a non-NETGEAR product will add to difficulty, since there may not documentation specific to your situation.
· The company whose network you connect to may require you to follow the company's own policies on your home computers ( ! )